Boulder Ballet is hiring a full time School Director to join our team. Start date is August 1, 2021.
The School Director provides leadership & expertise to develop the curriculum and faculty and provide comprehensive and enriching education for the students of Boulder Ballet School. The School Director works with the Executive to raise the level of proficiency and artistry of the students, manage the school faculty and manage the school budget.
About Boulder Ballet
Boulder Ballet is a classical, contemporary, and uniquely theatrical ballet company entertaining Boulder audiences for nearly 40 years. Devoted to celebrating the artistry, passion and joy of dance, Boulder Ballet is Boulder County’s foremost professional dance company and ballet school. Boulder Ballet is a 501(c)(3) non–profit organization.
Vision and Operational Leadership
• Teach as lead faculty of Boulder Ballet School for up to 20 hours and no less than ten hours per week.
• Oversee all training of BBS faculty.
• Work as lead faculty member in communication with both parents and BBS faculty.
• Work with ED to create and negotiate faculty contracts.
• Conduct school faculty evaluations twice annually.
• Create rehearsal schedules for each production to be shared with student dancers and parents prior to project commencement.
• Manage school budgets as determined with ED including faculty salaries, studio & venue rental, class rates and guest artists of all school productions.
• Create choreography for all school productions and recitals.
• Audition students for Nutcracker and Spring production (as necessary) with Artistic Director annually.
• Work with AD to choreograph and direct original Nutcracker.
• Work with AD to choreograph Spring classical productions (as necessary).
• Provide production and casting info to Office Manager.
• Create and manage class schedules in conjunction with Office Manager.
• Collaborate with all costume staff and designers for school productions.
• Collaborate with light and sound technicians for each school production.
• Teach a minimum of 2 professional company classes per week.
• Oversee pre-professional program and teach a minimum of two classes per week.
• Provide occasional maintenance of studios such as floor tape, maintaining necessary signage, sound system maintenance and ordering rentals. This is also done by AD and will take delegation of tasks.
• Take lead on student evaluations and level placements.
Fundraising and Development
• Collaborate with the Executive and Artistic Directors to identify and facilitate connections within the community and expand donor base.
• Meet with donors and parents to discuss funding opportunities.
• Provide descriptive material on school repertoire to marketing and development staff and grant writer for proposals.
• Edit promotional and informational materials re: school performances (dancers bios, web articles, press releases, etc.) for correct spellings, names, titles, terminology etc.
• Implement organizational strategy of new strategic plan for fiscal years 2020-2023.
Community and Public Relations
• Present Boulder Ballet’s mission and program in a positive image to the community, parents and donors.
• Serve as spokesperson and representative for Boulder Ballet School along-side ED and AD.
• Be a general presence at all school performances offering information to patrons, showing patrons to studios and answering general questions where needed.
Human Resource Management
• Maintain professionalism while conducting any work in affiliation with Boulder Ballet.
• Communicate with school faculty to maintain esprit de corps, a healthy working environment, conflict resolution, technical level, dance pedagogy and adherence to curriculum.
• Be available to answer questions, resolve issues, explain audition rejections etc. with parents and students.
• Attend weekly staff and monthly board meetings as an ex-officio board member.
• Participate in bi-annual job performance reviews of the SD by the ED.
• 10 years of experience in the field as a dancer, choreographer, dance educator and administrator.
• Clear commitment to the mission of Boulder Ballet.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with ED, AD and staff.
• -Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Professional attitude and demeanor in all working environments.
• Ability to manage and direct staff with confidence and leadership.
• Passion for the arts.
• Strong sense of initiative to complete and set goals.
• Nutcracker – Nov/Dec, SD works with AD.
• Storybook – March, SD works with faculty and has final approval over programming.
• BB2/Choreographers Showcase – April, SD organizes and has final approval over programming.
• Spring Company Production – May, SD works with AD as needed for student participation.
• Recital – May, SD organizes, delegates and has final approval over programming.
The salary range for this full-time position is $55,000-65,000.
• Health insurance
• Discounted health club membership.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “School Director.”